Melissa Aldana: Monk-in-Motion, Feb. 8
- Tivon Pennicott: Monk-in-Motion, Feb. 22
- Godwin Louis: Monk-in-Motion
- Made In New York Jazz Competition, May 3
- Dar Williams, June 20
- Jack Kleinsinger’s Highlights in Jazz
- Lost Jazz Shrines, May 10
- Aaron Neville
- Melissa Aldana: Monk-in-Motion, Feb. 8
- Kathy Mattea, Mar. 29
- Brooklyn Women’s Chorus, Mar. 7
- Lisa Loeb, May 22
Melissa Aldana – Winner of the Annual Thelonious Monk International Jazz Competition
Melissa Aldana won the Thelonious Monk International Jazz Competition. Melissa performed to a great house, Feb. 8, with Pablo Menares (bass) and Francisco Mela (drums).
Melissa also received $1,000 as the recipient of the “Elizabeth Butson and Nancy Fox Outstanding Young Jazz Artist Award”. This award is given out to the winner of the Thelonious Monk International Jazz Competition.
The award was presented by Willard Jenkins. Photos by Brittini Moten.
Melissa Aldana is a tenor saxophonist originally from Santiago, Chile. She has been a working bandleader in New York since 2009 and has released two albums on the Inner Circle label. She is the first woman to ever win an instrumental Monk competition.